It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Canon S120 warning
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

There appears to be a design fault with the Canon S120 which is the latest in the range of popular underwater cameras from Canon.

I had massive problems with the battery on the one I bought in January and got a replacement, which had exactly the same problems. Last week I got a second replacement, finished testing it yesterday same problem.

With the S95 and S100 you got about 3 hours continuous use which was ideal for 3 dives, when the camera was in the underwater housing. With the S120 you get about 30 minutes or about 10 minutes for video, which is useless for underwater, as it does not even cover one dive let alone three dives.

This is a design fault. The S120 is useless for diving, where even on two dives the camera needs to run for 2 hours before you can change the battery as its in a waterproof case. As the problem seems to be with the DIGIC 6 chipset this may also affect the G1X MkII.

I am not the only one with this problem. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jdYLlTrNo

Also http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52894236 where there are postings such as:
I had a similar problem with my S120 and returned it. I had a full battery charge and went into video mode and after one minute of doing video the battery light began flashing. I shut the camera down several times and the problem continued. I returned it to the store and two salesmen witnessed it and gave me a full refund. I tried to post this problem on Canon's website but my review was rejected. It appears Canon might be covering up a problem. This is similar to what happened to the SX280. I'm sorry that I sold my S95. I enjoyed the S120 for several days. The picture quality and video quality were very good and the camera was a joy to use, but there is a battery problem on at least some of the S120s.

I would strongly recommend that if you have an S95 or S100 you stay with it for now, the Canon S120 is useless for diving. Actually the image quality underwater on the S95 is better than the S120 as well. Canon really need to fix this.

Andy