It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum FAQs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Login and Registration Issues

Why can’t I login?
There are several reasons why this could occur. First, ensure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact the board owner to make sure you haven’t been banned. It is also possible the website owner has a configuration error on their end, and they would need to fix it.

Do I need to register to post in the forum?
You need to register to the site in order to post messages. Once you have registered to the site, you are automatically registered to the forum.

Why do I get logged off automatically?
The site as a whole will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else.

I’ve lost my password
Don’t panic! Visit the login page and click I’ve forgotten my password. Follow the instructions and you should be able to log in again.

I registered but cannot login
First, check your username and password. If you were sent an e-mail, follow the instructions. If you did not receive an e-mail, you may have provided an incorrect e-mail address or the e-mail may have been picked up by a spam filer. If you are sure the e-mail address you provided is correct, try contacting the web editor via the 'contact' page.

What does the “Delete all board cookies” do?
“Delete all board cookies” deletes the cookies created by the forum software which keep you authenticated and logged into the board. It also provides functions such as read tracking if they have been enabled by the board owner. If you are having login or logout problems, deleting board cookies may help.

User Preferences and settings

How do I change my settings?
If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the board database. To alter them, visit your profile page. This system will allow you to change your settings and preferences.

The times are not correct.
It is possible the time displayed is from a timezone different from the one you are in.

How do I show an image below my username?
There are two images that may appear below a username when viewing posts. The first is an image associated with your rank, in the form of cameras, indicating how many posts you have made or your status on the board. The second, usually a larger image, is known as an avatar and is generally unique or personal to each user. Avatars are taken from your profile page.

What is my rank and how do I change it?
Ranks, which appear below your username, indicate the number of posts you have made or identify certain users, e.g. moderators and administrators. In general, you cannot directly change the wording of any board ranks as they are set by the board administrator. Please do not abuse the forum by posting unnecessarily just to increase your rank.

When I click the e-mail link for a user it asks me to login?
Only registered users can send e-mail to other users via the built-in e-mail form. This is to prevent malicious use of the e-mail system by anonymous users.

Posting Issues

How do I post a topic in a forum?
To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can vote in polls, etc.

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own digression. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

How do I add a signature to my post?
To add a signature to a post you must first create one via your Profile.

How can I report posts to a moderator?
You should see a button for reporting posts next to the post you wish to report. Clicking this will walk you through the steps necessary to report the post.

Formatting and Topic Types

What is BBCode?
BBCode is a special implementation of HTML, offering great formatting control on particular objects in a post.
BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML, but tags are enclosed in square brackets [ and ] rather than < and >. For more information on BBCode see the guide which can be accessed from the posting page.

Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts.
You can upload the image to the forum by attaching it within a post (up to a maximum size each of 500Kb) or link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server and using the BBCode [img] tag.

Can I show a video?
Yes, videos can be shown in your posts if they are hosted on youtube or google. Use the BBCode [youtube] tag for YouTube Videos and [googlevid] for Google videos. Within the tags place the full URL of the video (not the embed tag).

Can I use HTML?
No. It is not possible to post HTML on this board and have it rendered as HTML. Most formatting which can be carried out using HTML can be applied using BBCode instead.

What are Smilies?
Smilies, or Emoticons, are small images which can be used to express a feeling using a short code, e.g. :) denotes happy, while :( denotes sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen in the posting form. Try not to overuse smilies, however, as they can quickly render a post unreadable and a moderator may edit them out or remove the post altogether.

What are global announcements?
Global announcements contain important information and you should read them whenever possible. They will appear at the top of every forum.

What are announcements?
Announcements often contain important information for the forum you are currently reading and you should read them whenever possible. Announcements appear at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted.

What are sticky topics?
Sticky topics within the forum appear below announcements and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them whenever possible.

What are locked topics?
Locked topics are topics where users can no longer reply and any poll it contained was automatically ended. Topics may be locked for many reasons and were set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator.

User Levels and Groups

What are Administrators?
Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire board. These members can control all facets of board operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc.

What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

What is “The team” link?
This page provides you with a list of board staff, including board administrators and moderators and other details such as the forums they moderate.

Private Messaging

I cannot send private messages
You are not registered and/or not logged on.

I keep getting unwanted private messages
If you are receiving abusive private messages from a particular user, inform a moderator or administrator.

I have received a spamming or abusive e-mail from someone on this board
Email the board administrator with a full copy of the e-mail you received. It is very important that this includes the headers that contain the details of the user that sent the e-mail. The board administrator can then take action.

Searching the Forums

How can I search a forum or forums?
Enter a search term in the search box located on the index, forum or topic pages. Advanced search can be accessed by clicking the “Advance Search” link which is available on all pages on the forum.

Why does my search return no results?
Your search was probably too vague and included many common terms which are not indexed. Be more specific and use the options available within Advanced search.

Why does my search return a blank page?
Your search returned too many results for the webserver to handle. Use “Advanced search” and be more specific in the terms used and forums that are to be searched.

How do I search for members?
Visit to the “Members” page and click the “Find a member” link.

How do I just show the new posts since I last visited?
You can click on the 'view new posts' link at the top right of the forum.[/url]

Topic Subscriptions

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.