It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scuba ettiquete!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Hi all,
Just thought i would share a conversation overheard whilst on my advanced last weekend!!

Waiting by the marker above the stangarth at Stoney to descend, a group also waiting to descend down the line, one guy in the other group asks his instructor " what happens if we met someone coming up? Reply from the instructor was " thats their problem just force you way past them!!!!!!!

Now we all now know there is an element of idiot's in all walks of life, but for me this really brought it home to me how accidents can happen!!!

Even the intructor on my course said, " i can't believe what i have just heard!!

I am so glad i was with a good bunch of divers and very good professional instructors :)

Post subject: Re: Scuba ettiquete!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Hi there

I was on a wreck dive in Thailand. We arrived at the site and just after we got there another boat with a (I think a group of Swedish or Finnish) arrived. As we were heading to the buoy line which had some of the group from our boat already on it, the group from the other boat came in and just barged past everybody and grabbed the buoy line and started shoving past our group who were descending at the time and went past them. when I was heading down with my students another group from their boat came past us and one of theier customers was trying to tell the Instructor/ guide that they had aproblem with their ears and the instructor / guide just ignored them.

There are some instructors/ guides out there that are a bit arrogant which is not very good for their customers or other divers but also there are instructors/ guides who do look after their customers.

Some people just don't have any manners

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
SD Forum Member
SD Forum Member

You do see all sorts of behaviour when you are diving, I agree.

When I was up in Scapa Flow last June for the 90th anniversary of the German WWI fleet scuttling, we encountered a few 'interesting' groups, who didn't descend so much as plummet down the shotlines. This did make it fun when you were coming up below them!

It wasn't even a case of them colliding with you if you were holding on to the line during your stops, if you were just close by using it as a visual reference, there was a good chance you would end up with one of them on your head.

Heard a good rule of thumb from one of the skippers, though, which makes sense - ascending divers have the right of way. As those coming up are having to ascend slowly, perhaps making various stops, it only seems right that those descending go round them, etc.

Man, I am glad I wasn't at Stoney that day - think might have gone postal underwater if someone tried to barge me out of the way.

Oh well, it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round...

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:20 pm 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

my advice is do the specialty. if you want to get into tech later do a tech course then .otherwise you'll be learning and paying for a lot you don't need as a recreational diver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Choose the Instructor as much as the course, some people will put a lot more into their courses.

I would suggest turn up, have a look around and chat, without committing, to a few instructors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:01 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

It's very sad these things happen, in my career I have seen a lot of Divemasters and Instructors that not deserve a license.

The problem their attitude and they way that some divemasters or instructors have been taught. One of the reasons that we at Sairee Cottage Diving include extra lectures about attitude and Risk Management in our Divemaster and IDC courses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Do you want to avoid making a misstep in front of potential new dive buddies . Write My Essay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:25 pm 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Excellent post about totally different subject. Presenting it in an interesting way and that helped to catch up the audience. To get better result for a write up the way of presentation must be an interesting one. Essay writing service reviews helps to know writing guidelines.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

Valuable information as well as exceptional design you consume here!
I want to show appreciation for sharing your decent thoughts and putting the time into
the stuff you provide! Essay Help

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:33 am 
SD Forum Newbie
SD Forum Newbie

It is a well written post and presented in a good manner. You have adopted a different style for presenting this topic. Thankful to you for making such a brilliant post. You can prefer essay writing service to get familiar with new writing tools and styles.